AGE 4-5 yrs
HOURS Morning School 9:30am - 1:50pm
ATTENDANCE Monday - Friday
RATIOS Our teacher to child ratio always remains at or below 1:16
LUNCH Parents can bring a pre-packed lunch or order termly our nutritious lunch from a varied menu.
CURRICULUM We have amazing classes to fire the children’s brain power and tackle more challenging tasks at this stage.
Petals spend time studying, exploring, creating and enjoying physical pursuits.
Each month begins with a new, fun theme of focus and exploration. We also have specialist teachers teach PE, art, piano, and swimming all included in the program.
Subjects covered by the Petals:
1) Phonemic Awareness: letter sounds and letter formation
2) Beginning / Advanced Phonics: short vowels, long vowels, blends, word making
3) Reading Scheme: Reading short stories. Mastering pronunciation and reading tone
4) Writing Scheme: We provide kids with level appropriate assignments guided by the teacher
5) Independent Writing Scheme: Each student is required to write daily in a journal. While supervised by the teacher, this leaves the student free to choose his/her topic of interest
6) Oral fluency Scheme
8) Early Science / Geography / Nature Studies: This is the chance for kids to experiment, observe and explore the world around them. Each class is related to the theme study of the month with lots of hands-on and exciting activities
9) Creative Development (Art): We have an amazing artist that comes weekly to indulge the kids in a special art and craft class
10) Personal and Social Development: We encourage good personal hygiene, friendship and helping, empathizing and respect for the environment and each other
Each month begins with a new, fun theme of focus and exploration.
A field trip within the curriculum is scheduled once every two months.
We have an art specialist teach a class once a fortnight.
We have a music specialist teach a class once a week.
During Spring and Summer Terms we use a nearby swimming facility located within 5 minutes of the school once a week. A professional swimming coach leads the class at a ratio of 1:6 and documents each child’s progress.
During Winter and Autumn Terms we have trained PE teachers lead the Physical Education class once a week.
Outside play is scheduled every day - weather pending.
Morning circle everyday with singing and dancing.
DAILY SCHEDULE - TYPICAL DAY
Morning Circle - Phonics/Reading - Free Play - Maths - Outside - Lunch - Free Play - Theme - Story - Home Time
The Daily Schedule varies slightly day to day and may be adjusted to suit the weather and/or the teacher's lesson plan.
Music Class - Art Class - PE Class
Special classes are built into the weekly schedule and are lead by Japanese teachers.